Monday, February 21, 2011

Still feeling joy, celebration and life and all that, but...

Hope everybody is enjoying their February!  Depending on where you are, it seems they are saying it has been unseasonably warm or unseasonably cold.  So if February doesn't typically appeal to you seasonably-wise, I guess you're in luck, or incredibly annoyed, or something.  I can't wait to hear all the allusion and wordplay on "in like a lion, out like a lamb" in the news next month.  Anyway.

So my ER recovery never really manifested itself in totality; I've been weak, tired, somewhat nauseous, and generally kind of crappy-feeling ever since.  It's been making me think that other things are at play rather than cyclosporine dosage and painting a freaking miniature table set, so I recently looked into it. Well, I think it comes down to the following:  I forgot to mention in my last post how I am seriously tapering my prednisone dosage.  In the month of February, I have gone from 35 mg/day to 35 every other day, so it has essentially been cut in half (incrementally).  Lately, I realize I'm feeling more like I was feeling...hmm...before I started taking prednisone.  Now, I know I complained a lot about being on steroids in the first place.  There is a lot about them that sucks.  But I am now being made aware of the benefits of prednisone as well...primarily extra energy, motivation, and ability to eat.  And here I had thought I was just getting better on my own.  Oh well.  This doesn't mean I won't recover on my own without steroids (geez, at least I hope not).  It just means that first my body has to get used to producing its own steroids again and I'm going to feel crappy until it adjusts.  I will stay on this dose until June, so there is time.  The good news is: I have so far been allowed to keep the chipmunk cheeks.  Hoorah. 

In the wake of my ER visit, I had an appointment with my doctor and another CBC last week (that's a Complete Blood Count.  I don't know if I've ever explained that before).  My platelets had come up a little, and all my other counts were the same or better than before.  So any associated freak-outs have been kept at bay.  My cyclosporine dosage was lowered, then raised again and I didn't really notice any effects.  All I know is my hands still have a tendency to shake like leaves most of the time and I'm not counting on that to go away anytime soon.  Ridiculous hair growth continues unchecked.  Most recent location: the back of my neck.  I may actually get a real haircut soon! As for my counts, I have another CBC tomorrow so let's hope for the best. 

In other news, my family was here this weekend and I had enough energy to have a great time, and to dance to John Denver.  Luna had a fantastic time.  She hadn't seen Jo since we got back from Seattle, I think.  We may be moving.  We've been renting for much longer then we intended and are fairly close to finally buying a house, but we are still working on it.  I sure would like to feel kind of settled somewhere (this may be the first time in my life I've ever said- or even felt- that!).  I'm looking forward to seeing some friends I haven't seen in a very long time over the next few weeks.  Hopefully my next Ommaya doesn't screw that up.  I received the most incredible scrapbook from a friend of my aunt.  I can't even explain it.  It's a work of art.  If you come over, remind me to show it to you!

Well, I guess I should save my remaining energy in case I want to get up and walk across the room or something later :).  Hope everyone is doing well!  ~j

6 comments:

TopoDog said...

Use the power of John Denver to get you through these hard times!

Patt Quinn=Davis said...

You did a lot this weekend, in addition to all that dancing, for how crappy you are feeling. Jessie, I know you don't feel this, but you have a will of iron! Glad we were able to make it. Had a wonderful time.
My love.
Mom

LjW said...

We must have channeled your John Denver, Jasper and I sang Country Roads all the way up the VERY TOO LONG chairlift ride on Sunday.
I guess I didn't realize you had sold your other house and were renting. Luckily moving isn't too much work or too stressful.
I like visualizing you dancing with your very awesome family.

Ann said...

We can't wait to see your chipmunk cheeks!

Love,
Annie

Mark said...

Great post. Keep them coming!

Best,

Mark

tia susanna said...

Oh, I can tell you that prednisone withdrawl is a bitch! I was on it for over 2 years at varying dosages, from 10mg-40mg. When I was finally able to fully wean off of it I got so sick I thought that I was relapsing. Like you said, I did enjoy the energy it provided, but tapering to 0mg was extremely hard.

Post a Comment