Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The blog I said I'd never write

Here it is.  I can't promise you that this won't be the only entry I ever post, as generally I lack the consistency and willingness to talk about myself at length to carry on a reasonable blog.  But I'm going to try.  For the most part, I intend to chronicle what's going on day to day with my treatment, not necessarily fill the screen with my musings.  But we'll see what happens.

So I called this blog "The Peculiar Vacation" because what should be fun and exciting trip to Seattle is actually a strange mix of "You must go to Pike's Place!" with "If your neutrophil count is high enough."  Such has been my life for the past 5 months; it is just heightened here where I'm supposed to be riding around on the Space Needle between my appointments for bone marrow biopsies and radiology oncology consults.  The local folk that I mostly encounter are also peculiar, in that they are not local, they are from somewhere else, and they are all sick like me.  Not everyone has AML, and so far, no one has been especially chatty.  However, we all stare at each other out of the corner of our eyes trying to figure out who are the patients and who are the caregivers, what kind of cancer each other has, where the patients are in their treatment, and things like "How tragic, he/she is so much older/younger than me, and Hey! His/her hair is so much longer/shorter than mine or is that a wig?"

Anyway, here's the brass tacks.  I'm at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, which people in the know call "the Hutch."  I started pre-transplant appointments with endless blood draws and a dressing change for my port, then had a physical and consultation with my PA.  My PA went over my entire case history with me, which was really really fun to re-live, and listened to my heart.  Also checked liver and spleen size- which are apparently adequate.  I learned that transplant date is tentative for mid-September.  I'll find out soon if I need additional chemotherapy beforehand.  Hopefully if I do, things won't get too delayed.

Then I had a consult with my nurse, who took my vitals and went over my schedule for the week.  She's worked here 30 years and you can't beat that.  We discussed drugs I liked and didn't like and things like that (I try not not talk about any of my drugs with too much enthusiasm lest she think I'm some kind of junky).  She also listened to my heart.

When I'm at the clinic/hospital everyone that has ever come into the room with me since I've had this disease listens to my heart.  I can have 3 or 4 people in a row do it.  Sometime 2 people in the same room! I find it bizarre.  Don't they know the last person did it?  Aren't they even going to write something down?  (They never do).  Maybe it's about making physical contact.  Or, avoiding an awkward silence or something.

Back to brass tacks:  we are currently staying at the family suite at the SCCA House (owned by the Hutch) which is in fact not a suite at all but a giant room with an extra niche with a little bed in it and a fold out couch.  The four of us will be crammed in here until our apartment at the Pete Gross House (also owned by the Hutch) is ready on Monday or Tuesday.  Jo and Luna arrive tomorrow afternoon.  I have clinic appointments every day between 11ish and 3 or 4ish.  Today, Brett and I spent our non-clinic hours walking around the neighborhood.  We walked up to Capitol Hill for Indian Food.  It's like 90 degrees and sunny, and I bought a whole new bottle of sunscreen, which in reality was probably a little optimistic.

That's all I have for now.  Going to bed, love to all :)




~jessie


10 comments:

Mom said...

This is awesome. Thank you! Sounds like so far, so good . . . Love to all.

Mom said...

oh my god. I have no idea why I'm showing up as "mom". It's Amy. Sigh.

Soraya said...

Fantastic Blog! Love it and love you.

Patt Quinn=Davis said...

Well, short of willing Carson High School to move next door to your place in Seattle, your writings go a long way towards me feeling more connected to you and your now-life. I talked to Jo last evening who was going through the mental checklist for the plane trip. I asked her to take a picture of Luna before boarding...she probably was thinking, "ONE more thing to remember," in classic Davis style.
School began this week...a series of meetings and getting my room ready. Very large class sizes. Still, I'm as ready with anticipation as in past years.
Stray had an abscess lanced on his leg yesterday and is wearing a cone around his head in sheer misery. But already he seems so much better. If only Levi would quit hissing at him, and if Bear would quit hiding from him. Lousy for the self-esteem, you know!
Of course you know I am with you every step of the way and will see you very soon...

Maggie Williams said...

Let me try this again. With your writing ability and your wry sense of humor, you are a natural blogger. I will look at this every day.

Topo is snoozing at this moment recovering from our early walk which was quite warm and humid. A lady said he was beautiful. He is!

Shelly M. said...

Jessie, your writing is enjoyable. In the midst of all you are going through, you are able to capture your experience in such a positive way. It certainly makes other people like myself put our own lives and daily hurdles into perspective. And in some weird way, hearing your updates, whether via facebook or blog.. makes me feel like I am able to help. I guess at the very least it reminds me to stop and think good thoughts for you.

Rachel said...

OK - so I wasn't totally off with your dates in my phone message. Tourism tips: Maple Pass in autumn (North Cascades) is pure heaven - if you can't walk it - sit at the trailhead. Also... Blueberries. Watching whales from Ferry boats. Going to the islands. Breathing clean air. And while in the clink - don't forget to reach out to some of those other patients you are staring at - - there is safety in numbers.

Anne Marie said...

ok, i am excited about your blog.. but a little sad, i have been asking you to write for like.... YEARS! i miss you already!

buy the freaken iphone 4 so we can face time, just do it!

i love you bunches,
FEAR NOT
amk

Unknown said...

Brass tacks is my new catch phrase.

Unknown said...

Jessie~ It was absolutely wonderful to read this because you can really hear your voice in your writting (although i suspect much of this was ghost written by topo). It is a voice I miss dearly and think of often. I have always said, that Jessie, boy her spleen sure is of adequate size!!!

Love you, and sending positive vibes,
Boxer

Post a Comment