Monday, September 20, 2010

The Fall Guy

For total body irriadition, all you really do is stand there in front of the radiation beam and not freak out.  You are supplied with a plexiglass box with handholds and a bike seat to slump on if you get tired of standing.  In my case, 4 beams of low-intensity radiation are are shined my way sequentially; each beam lasts 4 minutes and 2 are shined at the front, then I turn, and 2 are shined on the other side.  On the front side, I am entertained by looking into the beam-emitter, a glass orb/eye thing about the size of a basketball set in a giant mechanized arm thing right out of a 1960s spy movie.  On the back side, I am absorbed in a "Where's Waldo" poster taped to the wall.  Music plays in the background.  It's not even like I'm naked or anything...I do wear a robe.  Sounds pretty chill, doesn't it?

Well, not for Make-It-Hard-on-Yourself-Girl over here.  I fainted dead away half-way through the first beam of my first treatment, slumping off to the side of my plexiglass box, leading of course, with my head, which produced a giant THUNK that alarmed the rad-oncology team.  So of course they all came to my aid and lay me down on the floor with crackers and juice until my proper blood pressure returned and we were able to carry on.  But that is how I began my TBI process, and thought I would share it with you.

Now, the rest of my sessions have gone fine; I have 8 total (2 each day) and I've done 6 of them.  But nevertheless, l come back upstairs to this having been posted on my door:
Yes, it is a little icon of a dude falling dramatically to the ground and is intended to indicate that I, Jessie, am now a falling risk as far as the nurses are concerned.  I am completely. humiliated.

Anyhoo, that's what's going on.  A lot of feeling fairly crappy or feeling okay I guess or feeling awful. A little bit of yacking, but minor so far. The TBI causes swelling of the parotid glands (salivary glands).  Its a rare and painful side effect but one that I've been lucky enough to have had the pleasure to experience.  So this is what mumps is like!  Glad we have a vaccine.  Oh, wait, I won't for another year and a half.

In transplant speak, were are at day -2.  Transplant is day after tomorrow.
love, jess

12 comments:

Emily said...

Yer going to do great I just know it. What's a little fainting - you were just trying to make sure the nurses were awake. I know it. Thinking of you now and always. x, emily s.

Maggie Williams said...

Maybe you should fake fall from time to time just to break the boredom. We will be in town tomorrow with your little white pet. See you soon. XXOO

LjW said...

After I cried because I can't imagine having the strength you have and will continue to have no doubt, I thought maybe next time you should bend your knees.

Unknown said...

Not to compare with what you are dealing with, but I once fainted in a men's bathroom in Berkeley. I'm just sayin'...there are worse places to faint. Hang in there you super studette goddess!!!

Patt Quinn=Davis said...

Jessie said she only remembered fainting one other time. Then I began my tales--fainting sitting in a chair in the doctor's office, my mom looking on, fainting as I sat in a high school health class looking at an arm in a film that we learned was broken although it didn't look like it was, fainting following a procedure in my 20s, feeling faint as I tried to support my step-daughter after she was carried off the mountain with a broken leg--I wonder if that was enough of a distraction for Jessie? And those weren't all the stories! Patt, Jessie's mom

Unknown said...

Keep it up Jessie! Thinking of you Rosie xx

Petrea Marchand said...

Thank you for explaining the falling guy because I was thoroughly confused and thought it was a spider. Some of us apparently have bigger cognitive problems than fainting during major medical procedures. Stay strong; love to Brett and Luna.

Unknown said...

You need to find another form of amusement - not scaring your team! Love to all, you are in our hearts and minds daily.

Tia said...

This is nuts! What kind of music did they play? I think it is extremely generous of you to call them your "rad-oncology team" :) Hang in there girl, you are almost there!

Nichole said...

Well, if you had to faint, the hospital is the best place to be! I fainted while in the shower at home - I hit the shower door and fell out onto the bathroom floor on my face. Woke up, pulled myself up and proceeded to faint again. I guess the only person who heard the big thud was my 10 year old little brother. He came in the bathroom to see what had happened and is now scarred for life! :p Poor guy!

TopoDog said...

Petrea - a spider would have been cool. My brother suggested smuggling one into the radiation room to see if Jessie could develop spiderman-like super powers.

Rachel said...

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO You can do this! Receive receive receive. Calming thoughts. Positive thoughts. Floating in a giant hug of support. The future is bright. Your new team (aka the three b's) (aka the baby belly buttons) (aka the donor marrow) - is ready to succeed. Let them succeed. Let them jockey for position and pick their leader. Relax. They will do the work. You need to concentrate on receiving happy optimistic fun-loving fresh new positive marrow. You are READY. You can do this.

Post a Comment