Friday, September 10, 2010

Vacation, indeed

I apologize for the long blog silence.  It had nothing to do with my waiting to find out if I had a brain tumor this time, you'll be happy to know.  At least I hope you'd be happy to know that.  The truth of the matter is that we've been really busy.  With my immune system kicked up a notch, and a 4-day break from clinic visits, and with what might be the last sunny warm days we ever see here, we have been all over our little corner of Seattle for a few days.  Aquarium, zoo, the strangely interesting Ballard Locks, a fish hatchery (the Chinook salmon are spawning.  Luna swears they are sharks; she refuses to call them salmon), some random drives around town, going up in the Space Needle...that sort of stuff.  Been walking a lot and getting lots of exercise.  Seattle is a be-yoo-ti-ful city, and it seems like everywhere you go there are a lot of windows to gaze out of.  Especially this apartment.  So I also have been doing a lot of that: gazing out windows at Seattle.
Luna gazes a lot, too.

Getting ready to go to the park.

From our balcony

Agua Verde with Rosa and Jen (Hipstamatic iPhone app pic- fun!)
Chinook salmon in a fish ladder.  Luna being where she shouldn't.

We are also rediscovering cable TV, so I spent the last few nights watching Hoarders, Ghost Hunters, and Project Runway.  I'd like to say I've been doing more spiritual, meaningful preparation, but basking in relative normalcy (or base mediocrity perhaps) is the most enjoyable thing I've done in 6 months.  I even have normal-ish hair for the moment.  It doesn't look like my old hair though, it's kind of lighter brown with just a tiny bit of curl.  It's sort of 80's Jamie Lee Curtis.  But, it will all fall out again soon so it will be awhile until I finally find out what it is going to look like.
Hi.
Luna and I at the hatchery


Speaking of hair loss and what-all, here's what's been going on, medically-speaking.  First, I had my intra-thecal chemo injection last week (chemo into my head port).  For those of you who remember how that used to be for me (where I was a retching, quivering mess for 2 hours during and after the injection, then I would sleep for 5 hours), this one was totally different.  I took my meds, walked in, had the injection in a matter of minutes, and walked out.  It was a slightly different chemo formulation, but man!  I have had a few headaches and backaches from inflammation of the tissues which is normal, but the good doc has me on some steroids that help.  They also cause my white blood cell counts to shoot to the moon: WBC are 10 and ANC is 9800 or something!  So I'm temporarily super-immune (the docs say it doesn't exactly work that way, but what do they know).

I had my data review session with my team of doctors yesterday, and we went over the findings of all my tests.  Fine, fine and fine was the gist of it.  I'm scheduled to start pre-transplant conditioning chemo on Tuesday.  I will have 3 days of chemo, a day of rest, then 4 days of total body irradiation (TBI, 2 20-minute sessions a day), then I'll receive my new cells on September 22.  Things will get fairly physically challenging from there as my counts drop and I fall apart until the new cells take over, so I might be passing the keys to the blog to Brett occasionally to keep you updated when I am lying around drugged up and feeling sorry for myself.  Today, I had surgery to have my new Hickman port put in by a very nice doctor that has the same birthday as I do.  This port is in my chest and is wider than my old PICC line (that was in my arm) in order to accommodate the more viscous stem cells.  It's also supposed to be less susceptible to infection and in general, easier to take care of.
The Hickman line...the coils are on the outside for access, the part between lower ribs and clavicle run under my skin and my skin is sealed to the catheter at the top, and the near the clavicle past the seal, the catheter is inserted into my jugular vein where it feeds down into my superior vena cava.  If that's confusing, look it up on Wikipedia or something.

But right now it hurts.  Its been so long since I've had a procedure that hurts that I almost forgot what it's like.  So I'm feeling a little unprepared for what is to come, which I recall from my induction involved quite a bit of this "hurting" thing.  Although for now I am also strangely calm. Most likely that is from the boatloads of good thoughts I've been receiving from the amazing people I've managed to surround myself with over the years.  Thank you so much!!   I'm looking forward to some more visits from friends and family soon, and just moving forward finally!

I will be in touch soon (especially if nothing is on TV- ha).  Have a great weekend everybody.  Sending lots of love to all,
jess

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you much! I'm happy to be here. :) Not too much on TV except the MTV video music awards which we ARE watching..get ready.

Patt Quinn=Davis said...

Yes, finally!

Jock O'Davis said...

you keep blogging, brett's not funny like you

Brighid Fronapfel said...

I firmly support hours of Ghost Hunter marathons. Typically they run from about 6pm here, until 10pm on Wednesdays. If that isn't possible, might I suggest Ghost Adventures. Not nearly as scientific...and a smaller team...also on a different channel (can't think of it right now)...however, they did do a stint in Nevada.

Love ya, sending prayers and hugs and kisses your way!

Amelie said...

Glad you've been able to enjoy Seattle! I was just saying this morning how much I miss the Northwest. And you know me, I even miss the parts when it gets gray and rainy.

By the way, that image of the Hickman line is crazy, and kind of awesome. Is it an xray of you, or a general illustration? Hope the pain from the procedure eases soon.

Sending love and good thoughts to you and the fam, as always.

Jessie said...

That's one of my x-rays, the one that shows the least amount of..ahem...soft tissues of the area.

Dr. Mark said...

thanks for the updates! I like the xray shots! Mark Laska

Mary Jo said...

Dear Jessie,
Thanks much for the update and the great pics. Such great writing. I'm so glad you've had these great days to enjoy Seattle. My thoughts and prayers will be with you especially during the coming week...And I'm still looking for a doll for Luna! Love, #1

tia susanna said...

Another thumbs up for watching hours and hours of Hoarders. Somehow that show makes me feel a bit better about my housekeeping skills. Also, I can spend hours ruminating about the hoarding behavior of which I still don't fully understand. I will be thinking of you this week and hoping all goes well.

Maggie Williams said...

This just might be the best blog ever, even though the underlying subject is serious. It is part science book and part humor. We are looking forward to being in Seattle Sunday evening. Topo has been a great traveler. We can't wait to see him react to Brett and Luna. Drugs. Do them.

Unknown said...

I'm with Jock-O. Don't let Brett start blogging for you. It will just be me-me-me I-I-I and rambling on about California politics. By the way, how do I vote on Prop 27?

xoxo

Post a Comment