Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What's goin on

What if that terse Facebook status update was all I wrote about beginning transplant?  Wouldn't you be pissed?  Don't worry, I've a couple of things to say about officially starting the process.
 
The first thing I want to say will only speak to Monty Python fans.  The rest of you can tune in later.  So you remember the scene in the Holy Grail where Lancelot and another guy are storming that castle with the wailing "Princess," and the 2 guards are watching?  And every time they flash between the guards and the knights, the guards are squinting off in the distance kind of confused, and the knights aren't getting any closer and are even getting maybe further until suddenly the knights are right on the guards fighting and the guards are just totally shocked even though its been going on for quite some time?  Well, that's kind of how this transplant has come up on me.  I've been watching it coming since, no joke, the day I was diagnosed (I was so angry at the doctor that suggested it I could barely be in the same room as her for 3 months or so.  I'm over it, by the way, and have made my peace with that doctor).  But now that I'm here in the hospital, it just feels surreal.  Like it is still way off in the distance from here.  So, guaranteed it will hit me like 2 medieval knights with axes, I guess.  Probably worse.

I checked into the hospital at UW yesterday.  My room is pretty basic and smallish but has a great view of Lake Washington and you can see Mt. Rainier when the clouds part.  The food is all room service style, which means I have a menu and I just call down what I want when I want it.  It's fantastic!  Tonight I had local salmon with cranberry vinagrette sauce.  Sorry UCDMC, but this beats the Turkey Chili Mac or chicken strips and fries.  I started the first chemo yesterday, which the doctor said should be "like water to someone who's had the chemo you've had."  I never was a big fan of drinking water, so sure.  It was certainly uneventful, but from the files of "Its always f-ing something" I pulled a delayed side effect from the intra-thecal chemotherapy I got a week ago to hit me today.  To prevent inflammation of spinal and brain tissue, you may remember I was on a short course of steroids to avoid headache and backache.  Well, that rx ran out on Sunday, so the aches chose my uneventful-like-water chemo day to flare up LIKE CRAZY.  I mean, I can hardly walk at times.  I had to resort to the dreaded oxycontin for painkillers as the only thing that works (I can't take steroids and potentially mess with the new immune system that's going to want to set up shop soon, I hope!).  I'm disappointed, as I hate being on continuous painkillers so early, but what are you going to do.  I still managed to do 30 minutes of walking laps on the the floor yesterday and today.  Luna came to visit and as always, lit up my day a little, and managed not to reprogram my I.V. pump.

However, today they started my second chemo which is probably one of the more gnarly ones I've had.  It's called Cytoxan.  They don't even try to hide the toxicity in a clever name.  "Let's call it Toxopoison!"  So right now, I'm feeling pretty nauseous, which is unusual for me.  Why, hello again, salmon with cranberry vinagrette.  On top of the aches (which my neuro-onc wrote to me, "will END, Jessica" when I emailed him in despair), and the 10 lbs of fluids they loaded me up with to flush this toxic sludge (which I do not disrespect, it is saving my life, as it were) I am winding down quickly tonight.  Tomorrow I have more of the same, then a day of rest, then we begin radiation.  We'll see how I'm able to report on all that.

Love and love to all, thinking about and missing everyone.
j

15 comments:

Patt Quinn=Davis said...

With you...Mom

Unknown said...

Hi Jessie - Matt told me about your blog a few weeks ago and I've been looking at it - just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you alot, with fingers crossed lots of love from me and a slimey kiss from Jago (fortunately virtual as doutless packed with viruses) Rosie xxx

allyschad said...

Thinking of you every day and missing you! Sending you all love. <3 -Corri

LjW said...

Sounds yucky!! Hang in there.
Micah is pretty sure he could reprogram your IV if Luna isn't up for it.

Soraya said...

Thinking of you...lots of love.

Mary Jo said...

Thanks for the update. You are truly amazing! All the love from #1.

Unknown said...

Love you!

April said...

This is the first I've seen of your blog. Sorry to hear you are not feeling great. *hugs* Hope everything goes well for you. We miss you on BBC.
~April (C)

Unknown said...

"Well hello salmon with cranberry vinagrette." That's pretty funny Jessie. You're a great writer. When all this is over, I think you should continue this blog.

Cytoxan? What about Noxioutoxic? Pestilix, Nausoblax, Lethalix? Fatalflax?

Rachel said...

p9-------------jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjb //\

(love Max)

Unknown said...

Hi Jessie God Is with today and always. I love Anne

Maggie Williams said...

You are so brave. Do not fear the oxycontin. I used it for a few weeks after knee replacement with no ill effects. Anything to help get through this especially rough part.

Petrea Marchand said...

Jessie,

This is my second attempt to become a follower and comment, we'll see how it goes. Needless to say, I am forever your follower whether or not your blog account allows it. I will not be denied.

XX000 Petrea

Petrea Marchand said...

Access! It feels so good to be part of the club. When you get better and come home, Vince and I will fix you a righteous Italian dinner inspired by our recent trip...we have ideas for all levels of recovery. We can beat that salmon with cranberry vinagrette, I'm sure of it. Or at least Vince can beat it, since he's a much better cook than me. So get on it and get home.

Julie Quinn Kiernan said...

Thinking of you. You'll get through all this and we'll eat well at Thanksgiving. Love you lots!

Post a Comment